Insure Your Summer Adventures: Tips for Safe and Exciting Seasonal Activities

By Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner Glen Mulready

The first day of summer is June 21, and many Oklahomans are ready for a vacation. School’s out, days are longer and temperatures are on the rise. Your plans are likely to include more entertaining and outdoor fun. As summer approaches, it’s important to reassess your insurance needs to ensure you’re adequately protected. Here are a few things to consider: 


Pools and Trampolines

Consider purchasing an umbrella liability policy in addition to your homeowners insurance to increase your liability coverage. Some insurance companies may not insure your property if you own a pool or trampoline, or there may be policy exclusions for liability for related injuries. An insurance company can also deny coverage or cancel your policy if you do not follow the policy’s safety guidelines or fail to inform them when you build a pool or purchase a trampoline. 



While there is very limited coverage for certain types of boats on your homeowner’s policy, it is always recommended that you purchase at least boat owners liability insurance policy. There is an option to buy comprehensive and collision insurance to protect your boat from collisions, storm damage theft or vandalism. Boat insurance is written specifically for boats and will provide better protection for liability, bodily injury, and property damage.

Also, discuss the costs coverage for retrieving a boat that has sunk. You want to address this before a loss, not after, as the recovery of a boat can be very costly. If the company maxes out its policy limits, the rest of the costs will likely be owed by the boat owner. DUIs and reckless driving can affect your auto driver’s license, so boat responsibly and have a sober driver. When it comes to boats, keep in mind that coverage varies. Check your policy and ask your insurance agent for coverage and limitations on watercraft type and size. 


Motorcycles and Scooters

Your standard auto policy does not cover motorcycles and scooters. You will need a separate policy covering liability and, depending on the value of your motorcycle, comprehensive and collision coverage. Insurers have differing requirements for helmet use. Oklahoma law requires a helmet be worn by any motorcyclist or passenger age 17 and under, and helmets are required for use on some low-power scooters, as well. 


If you carry seasonal coverage on your motorcycle, which allows you to eliminate liability and perhaps collision coverage in winter months when you do not ride, be sure that your policy is active now that nice weather has returned and you’re back on the road.

For more insurance information, please contact the Oklahoma Insurance Department at 1-800-522-0071 or visit our website at