According to the National Institutes of Mental Health, one in four adults has one or more
diagnosable mental disorders. While many of these conditions are common and treatable,
it is estimated that nearly half of those diagnosed are not getting the help they need.

But there is hope. The Oklahoma Insurance Department (OID) stands ready to educate
you on your mental health insurance coverage. We’re also partnering with Cathy Costello
to spread the word about this important issue. Cathy is the widow of former Oklahoma
Labor Commissioner Mark Costello. They dealt with their son’s mental illness for more
than eight years before he was accused of killing Mark Costello and arrested last August.

Cathy is featured in a new series of public service announcements encouraging
Oklahomans to call OID if they need help clarifying mental health insurance coverage.
The PSAs will air on TV stations throughout Oklahoma starting this month.

Here are a few tips for navigating mental healthcare.

How Do I Find Help?

If you are employed, check with your human resources department to see if they offer an
employee assistance program (EAP). These services generally include short-term
counseling for employees and household members. EAPs provide support for a number
of issues including substance abuse, emotional distress, major life events, personal
relationship issues and more.
There are also many nationally available hotlines if you need to speak with someone
immediately. For general mental health questions, the Substance Abuse and Mental
Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is a good place to start. You can reach them
at 877-726-4727.

Finding Help if You Have Health Insurance

All insurance plans are required by law to cover mental health and substance abuse
services. This includes behavioral health treatment such as psychotherapy and
counseling. The plans also include mental and behavioral health inpatient services and
substance abuse disorder treatment.

Your insurance company can provide a list of providers in your plan. Your primary care
doctor may also be able to refer you to a mental health specialist.

If you have more questions about mental health insurance coverage, call the Oklahoma
Insurance Department at 8005220071.

Finding Help When Uninsured

Start with your community health center. SAMHSA provides a behavior treatment
services locator to help you find one in your area. Other places to look include university
clinics and group therapy.
You can also call 211. The free 24-hour phone line can help Oklahomans in every county
with information and referrals to community services. Its available seven days a week,
365 days a year.
If you have more questions about mental health insurance coverage, call the Oklahoma
Insurance Department at 800-522-0071.
To watch the PSAs featuring Cathy Costello, click on the following links:
:30 Version
:60 Version